Learn More About Leaky Gut
In an unhealthy digestive system, there is often an overgrowth of unhealthy bacteria or yeast that contributes to inflammation in the gut lining. We refer to this as ‘leaky gut syndrome’. This limits the digestive tract from carrying out its normal functions, resulting in symptoms throughout the body.
Leaky gut can be caused by antibiotic use, eating inflammatory and pro-cessed foods, some medications, contracting traveller’s diarrhea, prolonged stress. These factors can negatively alter the gut flora, resulting in inflammation in the digestive tract.
Symptoms of Leaky Gut:
- Abdominal discomfort
- Mucous in the stool
- Anxiety or depression
- Frequent cold and flu
Inflammatory issues like eczema, acne, joint pain, and autoimmune dis-eases like Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis.
- Eat slowly: Digestion begins with chewing!
- Lemon water or apple cider vinegar five minutes before a meal to promote digestive enzymes
- Eat prebiotics like include oats, artichokes, bananas, apples, aspara-gus and flax
- Support gut health and digestion
- Be careful with fermented foods which often worsen symptoms be-cause the types of bacteria in food items
- Avoid artificial sweeteners and sugar
- Follow a FODMAP diet
- Address inflammation
- Avoid inflammatory foods
- Reduce stress