Dr. Hilary’s Tips To Support Detoxification
- Drink more water: Toxins are eliminated from the body through the bowels and bladder. Even minor dehydration will limit your body’s ability to get rid of toxins. Aim to drink at least 2 liters of water daily, and more if you are active or in a warm climate.
- Support the bowels: When we are constipated, toxins can be reabsorbed from the bowel, adding to the toxic burden in the body. We should have at least one fully evacuated bowel movement daily. Increasing fiber in the diet, drinking plenty of water, and being active are great first steps to support bowel health.
- Healthy nutrition: Certain foods can help to boost our body’s detoxification pathways. These include Cruciferous veggies like broccoli, cabbage, and kale, sulfur-containing foods like eggs, garlic, and onion, and antioxidants like berries, beets, and artichoke.
- Limit caffeine and alcohol: Caffeine and alcohol are detoxified by the liver and add to its workload. They can also irritate the bladder and affect the urinary elimination of waste.
- Use natural products: Transition to natural and scent-free cleaning products and personal care products. This can be a gradual change over time, as you run out of items try to replace them with more natural products. Top chemicals to avoid are phthalates, synthetic fragrances, and parabens.