- Minimize stress: Chronic stress causes an increase in pro-inflammatory cells3. While stress is an unavoidable aspect of life, we can work to control our response in stressful situations. Deep breathing, meditation, setting boundaries, and self-care are all important ways that we can reduce inflammation by minimizing stress.
- Improve diet: Processed foods, sugar, and trans fats are all causes of chronic inflammation1. Focus on eating a diet rich in lean protein, a variety of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, nuts, seeds, and legumes. If you keep to the outside edges of the grocery store and cook most of your own meals, you will be well on your way to a healthy diet.
- Prioritize sleep: Getting fewer than six hours, more than eight hours, or having disturbed sleep are associated with increased levels of inflammation10. Setting a bedtime, limiting electronic use before bed, and sleeping in a dark room can significantly improve sleep quality and quantity, which reduces inflammation.
- Stay hydrated: Water helps flush out inflammatory debris, and dehydration acts as an added stressor on the body1. Always keep a reusable water bottle with you, and set reminders on your phone, or drink herbal teas to help motivate you to stay hydrated.
- Maintain a healthy weight: Fat cells produce pro-inflammatory mediators11, meaning they directly contribute to chronic inflammation. Regular exercise and a healthy diet are important to maintaining a healthy weight, which reduces chronic inflammation.
- Address the root cause: Treat the chronic infection, injury, or environmental exposure to target and eliminate the underlying reason for inflammation.
To summarize, it is possible to reduce inflammation to improve our overall health. First, we can limit our exposure to the main causes of inflammation, including physical, infectious and environmental factors. Second, we can make healthy lifestyle choices to reduce the burden of inflammation. This involves minimizing stress, improving diet, prioritizing sleep, maintaining a healthy weight, and treating illnesses. Third, we can provide the body additional nutritional support using INFLAMMA-MEND, which helps to reduce the symptoms of pain, swelling, and overall levels of inflammation.
By combining simple lifestyle changes and supplementation, we can greatly reduce the negative impact that this internal, silent inflammation has on our health.