Pro-oxidants are also made when the body is exposed to toxins, UV radiation, infection, and inflammation. These pro-oxidants can damage our DNA, organs, and tissues1. Basically, when the body is challenged, injured, or burdened in any way, it makes dangerous pro-oxidants that have the potential to cause long term damage and disease.
Luckily, our bodies havecompounds called antioxidants that neutralize the pro-oxidants and heal the damage they may have caused. This microscopic balancing act between damage and repairusing pro-oxidants and antioxidants is called redox balance1.
It can be challenging for the body to keep up with the demand for antioxidants because we are continually inhaling pollution, putting toxins on our skin, eating processed food, and doing hundreds of other actions that create pro-oxidants in the body.If our defences fall behind, we become vulnerable to damage from oxidative stress caused by pro-oxidants. Oxidative stress plays a role in most chronic health conditions, including cancer, diabetes, heart disease, and asthma2. The more antioxidants we have, the better equipped we are to win the ongoing redox battle against oxidative stress.
An antioxidant is anything that can neutralize andclean up the mess caused by pro-oxidants. These include vitamins like A, C and E, detoxifiers in the liver like glutathione, and compounds from plants like flavonoids and phenols1,2. We get most of our antioxidants from vegetables, as well as some from fruits, spices, herbs and proteins1.
Who would benefit from Salus Red Beet Crystals:
- Poor circulation or high blood pressure
- Athletes and active individuals looking to improve training and performance
- Pain and inflammation, including arthritis and headaches
- Brain fog, difficulty with memory or focus
- Sluggish liver function
- Family history of illness caused by oxidative stress, including cancer and autoimmune disease
- Boosting antioxidants, especially if we are not able to get enough from diet alone
Salus Red Beet Crystals are made from organic beetroot juice that is fresh pressed within 2-3 hours of harvesting and dried using a special procedure. Salus Red Beet Crystals provide all the benefits of organic beetroot juice in a convenient crystal form that is easy to add to smoothies, soups, yogurt, cereals, and meals. It has a naturally occurring sweet flavour and contains no additives or preservatives.
Salus Red Beet Crystals are a rich source of antioxidants from compounds called betalain, rutin, epicatechin and caffeic acid3. The antioxidants from beetroot juice have been shown to reduce DNA damage caused by pro-oxidants, which can help to reduce the risk of oxidative stress-induced diseases including heart disease and arthritis3. Antioxidants from beetroot have also been shown to improve liver function to support detoxification of the body3.
Healthy nitrates found in Salus Red Beet Crystals convert into nitric oxide in the body, which dilates and relaxes blood vessels to improve circulation. As a result, studies show that nitrates from beetroot juice significantly lower blood pressureand improve arteriole stiffness to reduce the risk of heart disease and stroke4,5.
Salus Red Beetroot Crystals can improveathletic training and performance by increasing the efficiency of energy production in our cells6. Beetroot also results in increased blood flow to the areas of the brain responsible for cognitive function and memory7.
Beetroot also has a significant anti-inflammatory impact on the body3,4. Anti-inflammatory components of beetroot act by blocking the production of multiple inflammatory mediators, including the same pathway that is targeted by NSAID medications3. This ant inflammatory action helps to reduce pain, swelling and tissue damage in conditions like arthritis, injuries, and menstrual cramps.
Dr. Hilary’s Tips for Boosting Antioxidants
- Focus on antioxidant-rich foods. In general, the deeper or brighter the colour of the food, the more antioxidants it contains. Foods that are rich in antioxidants include beets, carrots, kidney beans, broccoli, blueberries, dark chocolate, artichokes, and pecans.
- Variety is key! Every vegetable, fruit, nut, and legume contains different types of antioxidants. The more different types of antioxidants we consume, the better equipped we are to address oxidative stress throughout the whole body.
- Limit oxidative stress on the body. Anything that causes harm or burdens the body creates pro-oxidants that can cause damage to our DNA by oxidative stress. Protect yourself from UV rays, limit alcohol and processed foods, and use chemical-free personal and household products as much as possible.
- Do a detox at least once per year to reduce toxic burden on the body, improve liver function, and shift the balance away from damaging oxidative stress.
Each 5g contains
Red Beets (Beta vulgaris)* 5g
Equivalent to 67g of fresh tuber
Ingredients: Organic pure red beet crystals, citric acid.
Red Beets (Beta vulgaris)
- Improves circulation and lowers blood pressure to lower the risk of heart disease and stroke4,5
- Boostsnitric oxide and improves athletic performance6
- Improves blood flow to the brain to enrich cognition7
- Provides antioxidants toprevent oxidative stress-induced disease3
- Anti-inflammatory actionto reduce pain and swelling3
- Source of vitamin C and iron3
Adults & Children 4+: Dissolve 5g (1 tablespoon) of red beet juice crystals in a glass of water or other beverage.
- Xu DP, Li Y, Meng X, et al. Natural Antioxidants in Foods and Medicinal Plants: Extraction, Assessment and Resources. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18(1):96.
- Dhama K, Latheef SK, Dadar M, et al. Biomarkers in Stress Related Diseases/Disorders: Diagnostic, Prognostic, and Therapeutic Values. Front Mol Biosci. 2019;6:91.
- Clifford T, Howatson G, West DJ, Stevenson EJ. The potential benefits of red beetroot supplementation in health and disease. Nutrients. 2015;7(4):2801-2822.
- Raubenheimer K, Hickey D, Leveritt M, et al. Acute Effects of Nitrate-Rich Beetroot Juice on Blood Pressure, Hemostasis and Vascular Inflammation Markers in Healthy Older Adults: A Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Crossover Study. Nutrients. 2017;9(11):1270.
- Bond V Jr, Curry BH, Adams RG, Asadi MS, Millis RM, Haddad GE. Effects of dietary nitrates on systemic and cerebrovascular hemodynamics. Cardiol Res Pract. 2013;2013:435629.
- Olsson H, Al-Saadi J, Oehler D, Pergolizzi J Jr, Magnusson P. Physiological Effects of Beetroot in Athletes and Patients. Cureus. 2019;11(12):e6355.
- Presley TD, Morgan AR, Bechtold E, Clodfelter W, Dove RW, Jennings JM, Kraft RA, King SB, Laurienti PJ, Rejeski WJ, Burdette JH, Kim-Shapiro DB, Miller GD. Acute effect of a high nitrate diet on brain perfusion in older adults. Nitric Oxide. 2011 Jan 1;24(1):34-42.